This 0-4-0 saddle tank locomotive was built in 1931 by W G Bagnall Limited at Castle Engine Works in Stafford. It is a very simple light industrial locomotive ideally suited for the operation of one driver.
It first entered service with Horsely Bridge & Thomas Piggot Limited at their works in Tipton, Staffordshire. One of the directors of this company was J T Daly Esq., and his namesake was to stay in service for 38 years.
In 1969 the locomotive was sold to its second owner, Mr Allan Civil of the Foxleigh Light Railway, still in the county of Staffordshire. In 1982 it was purchased and renovated by Alderney Railway Society for whom it carried out passenger duties between Braye Harbour and Mannez Quarry.
November 1993 saw the J T Daly arrive in Jersey where it underwent refurbishment at the hands of our engineers here at the Steam & Motor Museum.