"A full size railway is a dream come
true, a homage to the railway which once served the island so well.
|On Thursdays, the
clock is turned back and you may travel in the two Victorian coaches
drawn by steam from the platform of the Victorian style station.
Please Note: Due to unforeseen repair
works, unfortunately, the steam locomotive has been temporarily
withdrawn from service. We apologise for any inconvenience and
disappointment that this may cause and hope to resume rides again as
soon as possible.
|Please click any photograph
to see a larger image together with a description.
|The Museum also has on
display locomotives and rolling stock which are not pictured above,
they are as follows:
– Built in Belgium in 1931. In the great age of steam on
the railways of Great Britain, one of the most popular and widely
reproduced engine layouts for freight working was the six wheeled or
0-6-0 tender locomotive. With all wheels available for adhesion, two
inside cylinders, and either Joy or Stephenson valve gear, it proved a
|This standard gauge
(4’8 ½”) 0-6-0 tank engine is relatively uncommon in
having outside cylinders and Walschaerts valve gear. She was
later used for coal hauling in Brussels along La Meuse river near
Liege. After lying derelict for 30 years she was brought to
Jersey in 1987 and rebuilt by Mr Pallot’s engineers. In
commercial use, and carrying full boiler pressure, she would have had a
maximum tractive effort (or drawbar pull) in the region of 18,000 lbs
– or 8 tons.
|The North London
Railway as it was called from 1853 onwards, passed through the
suburbs of Victoria, London, and was very much a commuter passenger
line, the stations being on average some three minutes traveling time
The city terminus was Broad Street and the
line ran from Richmond in the South West to Stratford and thence on to
Poplar Docks in the East.
|The coaching stock was all
of the four wheeled variety and in order to get as many coaches as
possible into the station platforms was made up as close coupled
‘block trains’. The finish was varnished teak and
these particular coaches are thought to date from just before the turn
of the century.
|In 1989 they were brought to
the Museum for restoration, with under-frame material and wheels coming
from the well known railway scrap yard of Woodham Bro's., Barry, South