Lyndon Charles Pallot, a well loved
character known as ‘Don' was born in the parish of Trinity in
Jersey and educated at the parish school. He developed an
interest in mechanics from an early age and, after leaving school at
the age of 14, started remaking bicycles until he became a trainee
engineer at Jersey Railways where his enthusiasm for steam was born.
In the early 1930's Don opened Central
Motor Works at Sion, Trinity, the agricultural works which was to
become so well known throughout the Island. He was a brilliant
engineer who loved solving mechanical problems and his ingenuity led
him to invent several implements which were to make the life of the
Jersey farmers easier.
The Pallot Elevator Digger, Last Furrow
Reversible Plough, Single Furrow Reversible Plough, Tractor Mounted
Côtil Winch and Tractor Mounted 2 Point Linkage Transport Box can
be seen in the Museum today. His ability to improvise proved
invaluable during the difficult years of the Occupation of Jersey by
It was at his home at Sion that Don
raised his large family of 6 sons and 5 daughters with his devoted wife
of 62 years “Dolly”. It was in Dolly's honour that
the Ransomes, Simms & Jefferies traction engine was so named
A man of great vision, Don started
collecting what he could of our mechanical heritage, with his ambition
being realised in 1990 with the opening of the Pallot Steam Museum
. There is no doubt that but his steady interest, maintained over
many years, much that is on view today would have been lost forever.
Locomotives were brought in from the Mainland, Belgium and
Alderney and lovingly restored to form part of his vast and varied
collection. Sadly, Don passed away at the age of 85, but his
memory lives on in his Museum which his family have the privilege to
continue to operate.